Search my blog

FEATURED POST

Air-Dry Clay Speaks The Word

Thursday 28 February 2019

Learn How to Make Miniature Cakes (2018)

I remember back when I was a kid, when I was with my mom buying a cake from Baker's Fair. there were cake replicas within the store. I'm naughty enough not to get caught by any of the staffs when I'm touching those cakes. In my hands I feel the texture like a real cake fondant. Pressing that toy cake the bread part was fluffy. I assumed this part was made out of foam.

Now I'll tell another backstory. I got curious about how a baking soda can clean those stained white shoes. I grabbed my old stock of the baking soda, fully aware that this is already expired, and applied it on to the stained sole part of my rubber shoes. I mixed it with water so the paste can stick with the soles. The end result? No whitening magic happened. But my attention was caught by the dried paste I applied, it reminds me of a hardened frosting, leading me to remember the first backstory I just mentioned.

It took me half  a day to finish, just the cakes.

Notice that! It's like a real cake. See and feel the bread

I put a toy decoration on the top in this one.


THE CREATIVE PROCESS

Memories are still fresh when I combined the following materials: square-cut foams, poster color paintings, baking soda, glue, right amount of water and mini-decors. First, I glued together those layers of foams (serving as a bread). Then I prepared the icing part by making a careful measurement of water in proportion to the baking soda. Remember they should be in a right amount so the icing would be firm enough to stay with the foam. I separated portions of soda paste to their respective colors. I mixed my paint red to some, blue to some, yellow to some and so on.

After assigning colors I now spread the colored paste through different areas of the foam. For the first layer I applied a thin amount of paste, if applicable, do the same for the second layer until you're satisfied then the last layer would be the thick icing part. For a final touch I also put some toy decor on top.
Be careful once the paste is dried, especially for the thick paste, they are very fragile so don't put so much force if you're going to touch it.

Current status of my artworks: They already belong to somebody else. I continually asked myself, what was I thinking?? Why did I gave them as a gift? It's hard to make a miniature cake you know!
You know what, on my upcoming post I'm going to share about how the cover of that cake was created.
Hope you're inspired reading and looking at my crazy creations!
-Hartiart 

No comments:

Post a Comment